Wednesday, November 21, 2012

PRO PROFILE: Robbie Malinoski


Last season started with a bang for two-time AMSOIL Championship Snocross (ACS) champion Robbie Malinoski. After just missing out on victory in the inaugural AMSOIL DOMINATOR race, Malinoski took the checkered flag the next day in the first points race of the season. The two-time Winter X Games medalist carried the momentum through the winter, finishing the season third overall. At 31, Malinoski is considered an elder statesman in the world of snocross, but his passion to race is as strong as anyone’s. As he told AMSOIL Racing, his #4 Ski-Doo is dialed in for the season opener in Duluth, Minn. and he’s ready to hit the snow.

AMSOIL Racing: Ross Martin got the better of you in the DOMINATOR race last year. How difficult is that race and what are your plans to win it this year?

Malinoski: The race is not too bad; it’s heads-up racing, so your focus is just on one guy, which makes life a little easier. The plan this year is the same: wide open for two laps and let the rest fall into place.

AMSOIL Racing: Compared to some riders, you started in snocross at a later age. What were you doing until then and what got you into the sport?

Malinoski: I was at a crossroads in my life at the time I started. I had just graduated from high school and was searching for some direction, so my dad gave me an option to work at his shop in exchange for a season of racing, and I never looked back. Before that, motocross was all that I was doing.

AMSOIL Racing: Is there one victory in your career that means more than any of the others?

Malinoski: I think last year in Duluth was one that I will always hold on to. It took place in AMSOIL’s backyard, and I came out swinging. I have never experienced so much excitement from staff and sponsors than following that win.

AMSOIL Racing: You’ve won ACS championships and Winter X Games medals. What’s left for you to accomplish in snowmobile racing?

Malinoski: As a racer, you never feel like you have made it, and maybe that’s why I am still racing. I think if that feeling ever sets in, then I know that I have raced my last race. But I am more hungry than ever, and I still get nervous before every race.

AMSOIL Racing: Last summer you took on a unique role – fighting forest fires. How did that come about?

Malinoski: I had called [team owner] Steve [Scheuring] that summer and told him if he had some jobs that he needed done, I was his man. So he called and said there was a fire down south, and that [head mechanic] Tony [Clement] and I were leaving the next morning. Then I was gone, so I never had a moment to think about what I was getting into. That’s how it all came to be; it was a great experience.

The 2012/13 AMSOIL Championship Snocross season begins with the Duluth National November 23-25. Watch the action live throughout the weekend at www.amsoilracing.com.